Camp Cooking can be healthy:
How to cook great food over an open flame? Grilled shish kabobs are our first camp-cooking dish cooked over a campfire grill instead of a camp stove. So grateful for the fire ban to be lifted. We love this recipe because it is very versatile: the dish can be done completely vegan, vegetarian, or pescaterian. If you want to beef it up, meat chunks can be added. Only eating what is cooked over the flame could be complete carb-free or paleo. Or, you can put it over rice for a bigger meal.
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 zucchinis
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 lbs shrimp
- 2 tbsp oil oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbps garlic salt
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups of water
- First, cut zucchini, onion, and red pepper into large equal sized chunks. Make sure each piece is large enough to skewer so they won’t fall off during cooking.
- Place cut zucchini, onion, red bell pepper, whole button mushrooms, and whole cherry tomatoes into a large bowl so you can flavor them. Add 1 tbsp oil oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp garlic salt and mix well. Then set aside to marinate.
- Peel and devein shrimp and place into a bowl. Add remaining spices and mix well. Then set aside to marinate.
- After prepping the ingredients, start your campfire or grill to evenly cook kabobs. If over the fire, the flames should be touching the grill but not coming up over the grate. This will give you a grill that’s hot enough but won’t burn your food.
- Cook rice in your rice cooker by following the directions on the packaging.
- Skewer shrimp and veggies.
- Put veggie kabobs on grill first, because they take longer to cook than the shrimp. Watch for a nice char and slightly wilted vegetables to know when to turn over. Then cook apx 6-10 min on both sides.
- Skewer shrimp and place on grill 5 minutes before veggies are done. Grill shrimp for approx. 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are pink on both sides.
- Finally, serve with rice and soy sauce for flavor.
Want to know when new recipes come out? Be the first to hear by subscribing here!